July 24, 2007

Ender's Game


Ender's Game
by Orson Scott Card
This is a book that I recently read after hearing people rave about it for years and years. I am not much of a Science Fiction girl, but I did enjoy this one. Card's writing is not spectacular, but his imaginativeness more than compensates. The story takes place in the future, mostly in battle training stations in outer space. Ender is a boy genius who is learning to protect mankind from alien threats. The descriptions of Ender's training exercises and battle simulations are captivating and immensely original. And of course there is the famous twist at the end. Unfortunately someone ruined that for me before I'd read it, but I will remain vague. The preface to the edition I read had an essay by Card about how this book has resonated with extremely gifted children since its publication. Certainly it would be an interesting way to start a discussion of giftedness.

No comments: